Sunday 27 January 2013

Berry-Balsamic Salad Dressing


This one isn't rocket-science.  But its amazing how long I fretted about salad dressing when I first started eating this way.  In fact, I avoided salads for a very long time because I simply could not reproduce the commercial-tasting salad dressings I grew up with.

Then I tried this recipe and it all changed.  Sure, roasted strawberries are freaking awesome in salad dressing.  But you know what?  ANY berry would work in this adapted basic recipe.

Everyone needs a few fast and flexible salad dressing recipes.  I'm crazy about mixed greens salads with fruit and grilled meat together, or nuts, or cheese and fruit.  Ever grill peaches on the bbq?  Or mango?  Try chicken and peaches with this salad dressing using blueberries in it.    Best of all, this recipe can help you clean out the freezer a bit.  Dig deep people.  Find those berries you hand-picked last year, or the year before, and experiment!!

Ingredients:
1/3 c olive oil
1/3 c balsamic vinegar
1 c fresh or frozen berries, your choice
1 Tbs dijon mustard
1 tsp fresh minced garlic
salt and pepper

Method:
Puree all in blender or magic bullet and store 1-2 weeks in a re-purposed salad dressing bottle.

So far I've tried this with strawberries, roasted strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries.  I bet mixed berries or even peaches would be awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment