Saturday 14 April 2012

Cabbage Roll Stir-Fry


This recipe was one I used to cook my family over and over.  Of course, that was pre-paleo, so in order to keep  the recipe, some changes had to be made.  But the recipe had great potential; it cooked up in a half hour or less - and I'm a lazy cook, it wasn't fussy, it was stick-to-the-ribs hearty, everyone liked it and since the cabbage was shredded, it cooked up much easier on my teeth which meant I could still eat it with my braces.  The original recipe came from Chatelaine Magazine ( if you read these blogs regularly, you know I have a recipe-hoarding habit).  Before Pinterest (which I still haven't joined), I would tear out recipes from magazines, then glue them onto good paper and keep them in page-protector sleeves in a binder.  Then email became the more popular choice, so I have 2 email accounts--one is my regular email, and the other is for emailing myself recipes that I then move into email files under Breakfast, Dinner, Snack,  etc.  My email file storage is HUGE.

You can omit the honey if you're doing a Whole30, but if you're not, you'll find the tiny bit of honey really brings out the flavour nicely.

This recipe makes about 6 hearty servings
Takes about 1/2 hour
This recipe re-heats even better next day


Ingredients:

  • 2 lbs ground pork or beef
  • 1 cooking onion, or 1/3 spanish onion
  • 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 head of cabbage
  • 28-oz can chopped tomatoes
  • 5-oz can tomato paste
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 2 tbs apple-cider vinegar
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • red pepper flakes, to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste 

Method:
Using a food  processor, shred your cabbage really fine.  Set aside.  Slice up your onions and green peppers.

In a very large skillet on med-high heat, cook your meat with your onions (about 5 minutes).  When meat is almost cooked through, add your tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, honey and spices, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes to allow flavour to develop.


 Now, add your pepper and cabbage to the pan.  Cover and simmer until cabbage is tender (aboout 10 minutes--I like my cabbage soft).  You may need to add a splash of water now and then to keep things moist until cabbage beginns to soften.

Taste, and add red pepper flakes as needed.

It really was that fast and easy.





For variety, you could add mexican spices in place of the thyme and basil, making it into Beef Enchilada Stir-Fry.

1 comment:

  1. I would like to cook stir fry, because my friend my friend told me that it's very easy to learn and cook. I will try to create this one, because I think it's very simple.

    Beef Stir Fry

    ReplyDelete