Friday 30 March 2012

Nuts, No-Bolts

Do you remember "nut & bolts"?  How about "bits & bites"?  Oh, I remember.  They were home made, and they were around for decades before you could buy them in a cello-bag.  They were usually made of cheerios and shreddies, pretzels and peanuts.  They were finger-licking salty little buggers that you could not stop eating.  So you ate your way to the bottom of the bowl at every party, and you didn't poop after that for about a week.

Or was that just me?

Well, I miss those tastly little tidbits.  I started thinking about them a couple of weeks ago and could not get them out of my mind for a week before I caved and had to create some likeness of them.  It occurred to me--it was the Worchestershire sauce and garlic salt that I loved, not the actual shreddies or the cheerios.  So I bought myself a couple of cups of peanut-free unsalted mixed nuts at the local Bult Barn and took a stab at it.

Wow.  Got it first try.  That almost NEVER happens for me.  So here's what I did (and BTW, this recipe is STUPID-easy)  You'll laugh at yourself for not making them, and make them tonight.  And eat them all.  And you won't be thanking me, because they're so damned good you can't stop eating them until you hit the bottom of the bowl.

Nuts, No-Bolts



Ingredients:

2 cups unsalted, peanut-free nut mix, or make your own
2-3 tbsp butter, melted
2 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp onion powder

Instructions:


Preheat your own to 275 degrees.  I find that roasting nuts any hotter than this blackens the flavour of the spices and just kills it.  Melt your butter, and then in a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients and mix well.  Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes.

That's it.  Take it out and let them cool.  Pack in an airtight container if they mke it to the cool stage before you gobble them up.  Serve at parties and to anyone who comes over.

No comments:

Post a Comment