Saturday 7 January 2012

My Favorite Spice Rub

Have you ever read the label of one of those delicious spice blends you can buy at the grocery store?  Don't!  It'll freak the crap out of you, and the darned things are at least 50% filler and salt, so make your own!  Get creative and buy some empty bottles to put them in!  I never have that kind of forsight, so I end up mixing the spices right when I need them.

This spice blend is perfect for beef or pork, for rubbing all over a roast, then browning the roast in a fry pan before throwing it all in a crockpot for the day.  I've used it on pork shoulder, pork tenderloins, roast beef and beef ribs so far.  It is an adaptation of the spice rub recipe in Paleo Comfort Foods, altered to my taste for spices and quantities.

1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 tsp ground sea salt
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp mustard powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

I've also tried substituting turmeric for the chili powder, if the meal is a little more indian-inspired, and I've added a couple tsp of coco powder for beef recipes for a deeper, richer flavour.  Try the turmeric variation on skin-on baked chicken thighs.  This coming summer, I want to try it with bbq'd meats and mixed with butter over shrimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment